- 1 lb Fischer's Bacon
- 2 large sweet onions, quartered and thickly sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Cut the bacon into half-inch slices and add them to a large frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the bacon is cooked but still quite chewy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the pan.
- Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes then reduce the heat to low. Add the sugar and stir. Continue to cook until the onions have caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the reserved bacon, coffee and water and increase the heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring about every five minutes, until the onions are thick and jam-like, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the balsamic. Taste for seasoning and salt if necessary.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week. Bring back to room temperature before serving.