Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon
- 8 slices Fischer's Bacon, chopped and divided
- 1/2 small onion, chopped OR 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups shredded or grated cauliflower (1/2 large head)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce (or more or less)
- 2-1/2 cups (12oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- Whisk together flour and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a small bowl then set aside.
- Fry bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add chopped onion, celery, and garlic to the pot; season with salt and pepper and saute until vegetables are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and onion powder to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add water and place a lid on top to steam cauliflower until tender, stirring a couple times, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining chicken broth and milk then bring to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in flour/chicken broth mixture while stirring, then turn down heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until chowder has thickened.
- Turn off heat then stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese a little at a time until smooth.
- Stir in half the cooked bacon. Add salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce to taste.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese, cooked bacon, and green onions.