Grilled Hot Dog and Sauerkraut Soup
- 1 lb. Fischer's Jumbo Franks, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 c. hard cider
- 1 (32 oz) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 8 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. peeled and cubed potatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the hot dogs. Cook until the hot dogs are browned and fat begins to render, 4-6 minutes.
- Add onions and celery, cooking until the vegetables are softened until about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the cider, and cook until completely reduced.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until the potatoes are cooked and the sauerkraut is tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.