- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 8 [productlinks]
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 16 wooden skewers
- sour cream
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat along with the 1 Tbsp. oil or butter. Once hot, add the hot dogs and cook until charred and crispy all over, roughly 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cool. Cut each hot dog in half longways, and insert a wooden skewer into each half.
- To make the batter, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add in the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk again until well combined and batter is free from lumps.
- Preheat a square waffle iron on high and grease with cooking spray. Ladle a thin layer of batter onto the bottom of the waffle iron. Lay 2 hot dog sticks onto the bottom of the waffle iron. Then top each with a bit more batter. Make sure not to overfill the waffle iron!
- Close the iron tightly, as best you can and allow the waffles to cook. Transfer to a wire rack whole, and continue with the remaining batter and hot dog sticks.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut each waffle in half so you end up with 2 waffle dogs.
- Add toppings of your choice and enjoy!